While the movies are usually an overly-exaggerated version of real life, this is only partly true when it comes to the lawyer you need to hire for your personal injury case. If you find an attorney who tells you to limp as you enter the court room and pretend you are more injured than you are, this isn’t the best person to represent you.
The fact is, you are going to be working closely with the attorney you choose to hire, which is why it is so important to find someone you trust and with whom you are comfortable.
Some tips that will help you make this important decision can be found here.
Advice and Old-Fashion
When you are hiring any type of expert, including an attorney, you need to listen to what the person has to say–after all, this is why you are hiring a professional. However, at the same time, you need to listen to your own intuition. When hiring a personal injury attorney, some factors to pay attention to include:
- Are you going to be comfortable working with the lawyer you are considering? If the way the attorney talks makes you feel bad about yourself, if they don’t listen to what you say, or understand you, then you may need to find someone else.
- Do you feel as though the attorney understands what happened to you? You need to hire an attorney who has worked on similar cases, as they are going to provide knowledgeable representation based on past experience.
- Does the attorney want you to do things that you aren’t comfortable with, such as faking an injury or engaging in some other dishonest act?
- Is your potential attorney making bold statements as to the amount of money he can recover on your behalf, before he or she is fully aware of all the facts involved?
When you meet with the attorney you will have a chance to speak with him or her and evaluate their services. If they aren’t what you need, or are looking for, it is best to continue the search.
Remember, Experience Matters
In some situations, it is okay to hire an attorney who doesn’t have a lot of past experience. However, you need to make sure they do fully understand your case. Some things to consider and look for include:
- Has your lawyer been working in the area of personal injury law for a while?
- Do they have experience with cases similar to yours? What was the outcome of these cases?
- Does your attorney have the financial resources to fully fund and support your case?
- Does your attorney have a strong legal team working with them?
- Is your lawyer easy to call and talk to?
- Are they going to introduce you to their staff?
You, the lawyer you hire, and their entire staff will become a team working on your case. You need to ensure that everyone is on the same page and has the level of knowledge necessary.
Keep in mind, it is going to be extremely difficult to work with an attorney who doesn’t really understand your case, and this isn’t a road you should try to go down. You need to take the time to find a quality lawyer who will be able to give you the representation you need and deserve.