Phillip “Reed” Martens practices in the areas of products liability, commercial vehicle collisions and sexual abuse litigation. Reed has been a resident of the Kansas City area most of his life, growing up in nearby Platte City, MO. Reed attended the University of Missouri-Columbia. He received degrees in Political Science and Business Administration. He went on to earn his juris doctorate from the University Of Missouri-Kansas City in 2016.
While at UMKC, he served as a Case Note Editor for The Urban Lawyer Journal. Reed was also a member of the Trial Advocacy Team. He competed at various competitions across the United States, and qualified for the National Trial Competition Team. While attending law school, Reed clerked for Monsees & Mayer, P.C. before joining as an Associate Attorney in the fall of 2016.
A majority of Reed’s products liability work focuses on defects in hunting equipment, firearms and other recreational products. Within his first two years of practice, Reed has successfully tried multiple jury trials as both co-counsel and lead counsel. Reed was an integral part of the team of attorneys that received an $800,000 verdict in favor of their client after he was severely injured when his ratchet strap broke on his tree stand. Reed has represented clients in various matters throughout the country, including: Michigan, Ohio, Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Colorado.
Reed prides himself on being a zealous advocate for each and every client. His clients will tell you that Reed is passionate and dedicated to pursuing their case like it is his own. He makes certain that his clients are kept up to speed every step of the way. Reed understands that maintaining an open line of communication is vital to a successful representation.
Reed’s interests include hunting and golfing.
He is licensed to practice law in both state and federal courts in Missouri and Kansas.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Defective Products
- Premise Liability
- Motor Vehicle Collision
- Sexual Abuse Litigation
- Hunting Accidents
- Defective Treestand Accidents
- Defective Firearm Injuries
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Missouri, 2016
- Kansas, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2017
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- Juris Doctorate – 2016
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science – 2013
- Minor in Business Administration – 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar, Member
- Kansas Bar, Member
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- Platte County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member