Timothy W. Monsees is a graduate of the University of Missouri at Columbia where he attended both undergraduate and law school. A lifetime Kansas City, Missouri native, he returned home to practice law upon graduation from law school in 1981, where he graduated in the top 10% of his law school class and was awarded the distinction of “Order of the Coif”. In 2011, Tim was honored to become a member, by invitation, to the American Board of Trial Advocates, the most prestigious organization of trial attorneys in the United States.
In over 35 years of practice, he has handled cases in over 20 states. In the past, Tim worked for law firms specializing in defense of insurance companies and product manufacturers. That experience now helps him know his opponent, as he now restricts his practice to representation of victims of wrongdoing.
His recognition by his peers in the legal community with a Martindale-Hubbell rating of “A/V”, sets him at the top of his profession in both legal ability and professional integrity. For many years, Tim has been recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America for his work in personal injury and medical malpractice. He has also been honored since 2006 as a Missouri “Super Lawyer” for attorneys falling into the top 5% of the profession. But, he is perhaps most professionally honored to be recognized as one of the Top 10% in his profession in “Client Satisfaction” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys. Client satisfaction is what it is all about.
Active leadership involvement in local, state and national legal communities assists him in locating other attorneys and experts with information that will better serve you. As a Sustaining member of the American Association for Justice, the best resources in the nation are available to Tim’s practice. His membership in the Million Dollar Advocate’s Forum is a testament to his history of million dollar results for his clients.
In 2013, Tim published “Preparing For a Personal Injury Case“, Aspatore, a quick guide to the most commonly asked questions about personal injury cases and what to expect. It continues as a solid reference to the kinds of questions clients can and should ask as they choose an attorney and venture into personal injury litigation.
Most importantly, Tim has a family. His family provides an inspiration for his representation of families like yours.
Community Service, Hobbies and Activities
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation President 2011; the largest charitable law foundation in Kansas City.
- VAP (Volunteer Attorney Project) – The largest provider of pro bono legal services in Missouri – Committee Chairman 2003-2006; Past Chairman of VAP’s annual fundraising golf tournament.
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association awarded Monsees, Miller, Mayer, Presley, & Amick the Robert C. Welch Volunteer Attorney Project Award for 2005 as the law firm which had contributed the most to the Volunteer Attorney Project.
- Executive Board member, major sponsor and presenter for 2005-2017 Missouri Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Conference.
- Past Member of Kansas City 3 & 2 Baseball Board of Directors and 2000 Coach of the Year.
- Scuba Schools International Dive Master and Dive Control Specialist.
- Gun Storage Liability in the Wake of Long v. Turk, Kansas Trial Lawyers Association Journal, September, 1999
- Trial Tip – Find the Dastardly Deed, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys Journal, Winter, 1999
- Trial of the Wrongful Death Case, Lorman Education Services CLE, 2001.
- Cross Examination of Expert Witness, Missouri Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Conference, 2007.
- The Art of Persuasion, Missouri Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Conference, 2009.
- Opening Statements, University of Missouri at Kansas City, CLE, 2013.
- Evidence Deskbook, Opinion Evidence and Expert Testimony, Mo Bar CLE Publications, 2006, 2014.
- Represent Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Claims, Achieving Successful Outcomes and Overcoming Obstacles in Malpractice Litigation, Aspatore, 2012
- Preparing for a Personal Injury Case, Aspatore, 2013
Dangerous and defective firearms, Remington Model 700, Tree Stands, Hunting and Recreational Accidents, Sports and Sports Products injuries, Dangerous Products.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Timothy W. Monsees selected by Aspatore Books
as author of new authoritative book,
What You Need to Know (Quick Prep)
Boston, MA (7/31/2014) – Timothy W Monsees has been recognized as a leader in the legal community by being selected as the author of the recently released book, Preparing for a Personal Injury Case: What You Need to Know (Quick Prep), published by Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters business.
Preparing for a Personal Injury Case: What You Need to Know (Quick Prep)
Preparing for a Personal Injury Case is a great resource for personal injury victims, familiarizing readers with the general process and providing answers to commonly asked questions. Written by a personal injury attorney with more than thirty years of trial experience in this area, who has also handled cases in more than twenty-five states, this book summarizes the important considerations for personal injury victims. As an attorney who has worked both for, and now against, insurance companies and big corporations, the author poses and answers the questions you should ask before becoming a party to personal injury litigation. What should you do in the first moment following an accident? How do you find and choose an attorney? What steps are involved in the litigation process? What are your duties as your case is litigated? How will your case be evaluated for settlement? The entire litigation experience is explained in terms a non-lawyer can understand. From how the overall system works to how a trial or settlement will play out, this guide addresses key topics in step-by-step detail to help you effectively prepare for the case.
This book can be purchased immediately by calling 1-800-328-9352 or by visiting:
About Timothy W. Monsees
Timothy W. Monsees has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America by his fellow attorneys. For over thirty years he has focused his practice on complex personal injury cases, such as those for product liability and medical malpractice. He regularly presents at seminars helping to instruct other attorneys on trial practice skills.
About Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters Business
Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters business, exclusively publishes C-Level executives and partners from the world’s most respected companies and law firms. Each publication provides professionals of all levels with proven business and legal intelligence from industry insiders-direct and unfiltered insight from those who know it best. Aspatore Books is committed to publishing an innovative line of business and legal titles that lay forth principles and offer insights that can have a direct financial impact on the reader’s business objectives.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Missouri, 1981
- Kansas, 1994
- Texas, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1996
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2006
- U.S. District Court Western District of Oklahoma, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2016
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- J.D. – 1981
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- B.S. – 1977
- Major: Public Administration
- McCue v. State of Kansas, Department of Human Resources, 165 F. 3d 784
- Hopfinger v. Kidder International, Inc., 827 F.Supp 1444
- Lewis v. St. Joseph News-Press & Gazette Co., 782 F. Supp. 1338
- Stuart v. State Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co., 699 S.W.2d 450
- Nail v. Husch Blackwell Sanders, LLP, 2013 WL 2179183 (2013 Mo. App.)
- Bradley v. Ameristep, Inc. , 800 F.3d 205 (6th Cir. 2015)
- O’Neal v Remington Arms Co., LLC , 803 F.3d 974 (8th Cir. 2015)
- Seamon v Remington Arms Co., LLC (In re Estate of Seamon), 813 F.3d 974 (11th Cir. 2016)
- The Intentional Acts Exclusion 1993 – The Year in Review, Missouri Bar CLE
- Federal Practice: Rule 26(a) in the Real World, An Outline for Maximizing its Virtues and Minimizing the Pitfalls, KCMBA Federal Court CLE, 1995
- Laying the Foundation – Update on Demonstrative Evidence Case Law, Maximizing Damages in Personal Injury Cases, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys CLE, 1995
- Missouri Tort Law Update, 15 Hour Review of the Law, UMKC CLE, 1996
- Accident Reconstruction, Personal Injury Cases: A Practical Approach, KCMBA CLE, 1997
- Discovery of the Plaintiff’s Medical and Employment History, Hot Topics in Personal Injury Litigation, University of Missouri-Columbia CLE, 1997
- 1997 Torts and Civil Actions Update, Annual Law Update, Missouri Bar CLE, 1997
- Missouri Tort Law Update, 15 Hour Review of the Law, UMKC CLE, 1997
- 1998 Torts and Civil Actions Update, Annual Law Update, Missouri Bar CLE, 1998
- Missouri Tort Law Update – 15 Hour Review of the Law, UMKC CLE, 1998
- Taking and Defending Depositions, UMKC CLE, 1998
- Trial Strategy – The Beginning of the End, Bad Faith Litigation in Missouri, National Business Institute CLE, 1998
- What Constitutes Bad Faith? Insurance Bad Faith for Missouri Paralegals, National Business Institute CLE, 1999
- Ethical Considerations: Settlement, Uninsured Underinsured Motorist Law in Missouri, National Business Institute CLE, 2000
- Trial of the Wrongful Death Case: “Successful Handling of Wrongful Death Cases in Missouri, Lorman Education Services CLE, 2001
- “Settling UM/UIM Claims in Kansas”, 11/2005
- “UM/UIM in Kansas” 3/2006
- “H.B. 393-One Year Later” 6/2006
- “The Law Behind the Liens” 6/2007
- “Civil Jury Trial Demonstration” 1/2008
- “Expert Witnesses-Putting or Taking Off” 6/2008
- “Evidence-Getting out of the Magnifying Glass” 6/2008
- “From Start to Finish-Trial Strategy and Preserving Your Record on Appeal” 6/2009
- “10 Commandments of Legal Malpractice” 8/2010
- “How to be Successful in Mediation” 5/2011
- “When Insurance Companies Say No-First and Third Party Remedies” 6/2011
- “How to Avoid Legal Malpractice Suit and Defend Yourself” 6/2011
- “Opening Statements” 5/2013
- “Case within a Case” 6/2013
- “Civil Trial Demonstration” 5/2013
- “Opening Statements” – 06/2014
- “I Just Got Sued For Malpractice, Now What?” , Missouri Bar Association Solo & Small Firm Conference, June 2016
- “Appellate Tips: The View from the Podium”, Missouri Bar Association Solo & Small Firm Conference, June 2016
- Use of Paralegals at Trial, Practical and Ethical Considerations, Missouri Bar Solo Small Firm Conference, 2003
- Navigating the Troubled Waters of Tort Reform, Missouri Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Conference, June 2005
- Trial Lawyer’s Successful Trial Tips: What They Learned , Missouri Bar Association, October 2005
- Evidence Deskbook – Expert Testimony, Missouri Bar Association CLE Publications, 2006
- Evidentiary Essentials for Small Firms, Missouri Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Conference, June 2008
- Sources of Proof Deskbook – Exhibit and Demonstrative Evidence, Missouri Bar Association CLE Publications, 2014
Honors and Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2014 in the field of Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs
- ’10 Best’ Attorneys in State of Missouri, Client Satisfaction, 2014 – 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, 2008 – Present
- Kansas – Missouri Super Lawyers, 2006 – Present
- Chosen Best of the Bar, 2003
- Chosen Best of the Bar, 2013
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Who’s Who in American Law
- National Registry of Who’s Who
- National Finalist, Association of Trial Lawyers of America Student Trial Competition, 1981
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar, Sustaining Member
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Chair, Tort Law Committee, 1999
- Volunteer Attorney Project, Chair, 2003 – 2004
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Member
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Sustaining Member
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Eagles
- Jefferson Club, University of Missouri at Columbia, Sustaining Member
- PADI-Advanced Open Water Scuba Certification
- SSI-Dive Control Specialist Scuba Certification
- Attorney Information Exchange Group, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Morris, Larson, King, Stamper & Bold, Attorney, 1981 – 1985
- Stradley, Schmidt, Stevens & Wright, Attorney, 1985 – 1986
- Myerson, Monsees & Morrow, P.C., Attorney, 1986 – 1995