David was born and raised in Kansas City, where he attended Rockhurst High School. He went on to Boston College and earned a double major in Political Science and Economics. Upon returning to Kansas City, David enrolled at the University of Missouri – Kansas City Law School, where he received the American Jurisprudence Award and was a Victor Wilson Scholar.
David’s practice concentrates on safety of children and the elderly. He has a particular emphasis in assisting children, as well as the elderly who have been sexually abused or harmed by the negligence of other parties. David has helped many clients recover for injuries or damages they received, including handicapped children who have been neglected or abused; children injured by dangerous conditions in stores; injury and death to the elderly from negligent nursing homes and transportation companies; injuries at swimming facilities; various automobile claims against negligent drivers.
For these efforts, David has been admitted to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He has received the top rating of AV for a lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell and has been named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the American Trial Lawyers Association and the American Society of Legal Advocates. The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys recognized David as being one of the Top 10% in his profession with regards to Customer Satisfaction.
David volunteers his time for legal aid programs throughout Missouri and Kansas, and serves on the Board of various not-for-profit charity organizations.
- Swimming Pool Negligence, $5,000,000 Verdict
- Clergy Sexual Abuse, Confidential Settlement
- Lifeguard Negligence, Confidential Settlement
- Hotel Swimming Pool Negligence, Confidential Settlement
- Truck Accident, $1,000,000 Settlement
- Shooting at Night Club, $3,500,000 Verdict
- Shooting at Night Club, Confidential Settlement
- Shooting at Night Club, $2,735,000 Verdict
- Automobile Accident, $1,000,000 Verdict
- Automobile Death, $2,750,000 Settlement
- Nursing Home Negligence, $3,350,000 Verdict
- Nursing Home Abuse, Confidential Settlement
- Child sexual assault, Confidential Settlement
Community Service Activities
- Quest to Walk – Past Board Member
- T.T. Homes Association – Past Board Member, Vice President
- STM Athletic Board – Past President
- St. Thomas Moore Men’s Club – Past Treasurer
- Saint James Food Pantry – Volunteer Food Server
- VAP – provided legal services to low-income individuals who were sued in civil lawsuits arising out of phone scams; ongoing member accepting periodic pro bono assignments for legal services for the indigent.
- Juvenile Court – provided pro bono legal services to low-income juveniles who had juvenile charges brought against them.
- Coaching – soccer and football coach for various grade school teams.
- Bishop Sullivan Center – donated food, money and presents to low-income families for Christmas.
- Committee member of fundraiser to support junior tennis.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Missouri, 1992
- Kansas, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1992
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1997
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- J.D. – 1992
- Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.S. – 1989
- Greene v. Penn-America Insurance Company, 242 SW 3d 374 (MO App. 2007)
- Manzella v. Gilbert-Magill Co., 965 S.W. 2d 221 (Mo. App. W.D. 1998)
- Hedglin v. Stahl Speciality Company, 903 S.W.2d 922 (Mo. App. W.D. 1995)
- Lodigensky v. American States Preferred Ins. Co., 898 S.W.2d 661 (Mo. App. W.D. 1995)
- Royse v. American Economy Ins. Co., 866 SW 2d 873 (Mo. App. W.D. 1993)
- Marino v. Sander, 834 F.Supp. 1335 (D. Kan. 1993)
- Hopfinger v. Kidder Intern., Inc., 827 F.Supp. 1444 (W.D. Mo. 1993)
Honors and Awards
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, awarded by the National Trial Lawyers and American Society of Legal Advocates
- Top 10% In Missouri For Client Satisfaction – American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- Best Lawyers in America
- American Jurisprudence Award, 1990
- Victor Wilson Scholar, 1991 – 1993
- Life Member of Who’s Who, 2000
- AV rated- Martindale Hubbell
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Super Lawyer MO/KS
- Premier 100 Criminal and Civil Lawyer in Missouri – American Academy of Trial Attorneys
- Corporate LiveWire Global Awards Winner 2016
- Nations Top 1%- National Association of Distinquished Counsel
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- The Missouri Bar, Member
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- Best Attorneys Of America, Lifetime Charter Member
- American Society of Legal Advocates, Member
- American Institute of Plaintiff Attorneys, Member
- National Association of Extinquished Attorneys, Member
- Kansas Bar, Member
- Kansas Association of Justice, Sustaining Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Trial Lawyers, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Myerson, Monsees & Morrow, A Professional Corporation, Associate, 1992 – 1996